This month make time to do a home safety review. If you can answer “yes” to all of the questions, you are not only following good home safety practices, but also insuring the safety of friends, family and visitors.
Do all the electrical appliances have sturdy cords and intact plugs?
- Is the stove area clean and grease free?
- Do you use a step stool with handrails for hard-to-reach objects?
- Is there adequate lighting over counters where cutting implements are used?
- Are there grab bars and nonslip bathmats in the shower and tub areas?
- Is the hot water temperature set to a maximum of 120 degrees Fahrenheit?
- Is there a nightlight?
- Have you installed a ground fault circuit interrupter to protect your family against accidental electric shock due to electrical appliances (i.e. blow dryers, curling irons, electric razors)?
- Are there smoke detectors near all bedrooms and on every level of the house?
- Have you tested your smoke detectors monthly and replaced the batteries yearly, or as needed?
- Have you installed carbon monoxide detectors in the hallways between the bedrooms and the rest of the house?
- Have you had the furnace and venting system inspected this year?
- Are space heaters kept at least three feet from everything? Are their cords intact?
Stairways & Hallways
- Are they well-lit, with light-switches at the top and bottom, and a handrail to hold?
- Are there nonskid treads and/or carpet runners to prevent slipping?
- Are phone cords and extension cord kept clear of high-traffic areas?
- Have you tacked down throw rugs and runners with adhesive carpet tape or rubber matting?
- Are all extension cords intact and not overloaded?
Fire Escape Plan
- Does everyone in the family know at least two escape routes from every room in the home or apartment?
- Are there quick-release devices on all the security-enforced doors & windows?
Home safety checklist compliments of Four Score.